Celebrate the earth – and the free coffee April 22
On April 22, I sent a message to my family to meet me at Starbucks to celebrate Earth Day. “And don’t forget to bring your own tumbler,” I reminded them. Coffee is on Starbucks! Indeed, Starbucks was very generous that day – and the coffee was great, as usual. As I skilfully drank from my Starbucks tumbler, I felt like I was giving back to the earth.
According to Earth Day.org, more than 1 billion people in 192 countries took part in the 42nd anniversary of Earth Day. The world was united. Today is May 3 or Earth Day +11 days. This is when individual effort counts. It’s not as exciting as getting together in a big group to commemorate an extraordinary moment. This is the daily reality of keeping a promise. It’s changing what we do in small ways which can add up to large outcomes.
This is my commitment:
- Walk everywhere possible – to the library, grocery store, hairdresser, coffee shops; use public transit as the second alternative; use the car at last resort.
- Shop responsibly and buy products that have little or no packaging.
- Recycle, recycle recycle.
- Become paperless by learning new technologies.
- Keep an open mind to new ways of keeping the earth green.
I’m acting on point 5 today. A neighbour is organizing a residential food scraps collection for our strata. I will be sending him an e-mail to put my name on the list. I’ll let you know how it goes…
Rebecca aka Clanmother